Talking about concentration in IELTS Speaking can be a challenge, not only for the vocabulary, but also knowing what to talk about. The IELTS Speaking Module is designed to assess your English Language Speaking Skills. To ensure a good score in the IELTS Speaking Module, you must study and practice the common Speaking Question types.
Get ideas on the sample answers below and practice to achieve your target band score. Here are some of the questions asked:
1. When do you need to stay (or, be) focused?
Answer – As I’m a freelancer (someone who does independent work online), I really need to hone in (focus in) on getting my work done. I tend to space out (become unfocused) when I have to sit down and finish a task, so I really need to work on that to be more efficient. Furthermore, I need to concentrate on finding a new house, as my lease will expire soon.
2. Do you ever find it difficult to stay focused (= hard to concentrate)?
Answer – Every day. I tend to have a lot running through my mind, so it’s hard to focus in on just one thing. When I try to read or work on an independent project, my mind tends to wander (go without direction) and I usually turn to checking my phone and searching unrelated topics.
3. What distracts you when you’re trying to stay focused?
Answer – Number one: my phone! I get distracted when I receive a text message or email, then lose my current thought and think about that. Furthermore, if I try not to respond, I will obsess over it until I finally put down my work to address it. Aside from this, I get distracted when I’m going through certain personal problems, such as a break-up or family dilemma (problem).
4. What d o you do to help you concentrate?
Answer – When I sit down to do work, I make a point of (try) putting my phone on silent and away from me. Furthermore, I do exercise before which often brings my mind back to focus. Lastly, I try to work in a quiet place, such as my bedroom, which doesn’t have many distractions around.
You may also like:
- [Learn English] 250+ One Word Substitutions
- Basic IELTS Speaking Questions and Answers
- 48 City Related Words And Their Meanings
- English Collocation Exercise with Answers
- Common English Grammar Mistakes You Need To Know
- General IELTS Writing Tips: How Can Your Improve Your Score
- What is Register in English Grammar?
- When to Use Parallelism in English – A Brief Guide
- 7 Categories of Idioms with Meaning and Examples
- Basic Forms of English Verb Tenses – Tabular View with Examples
Follow us on Twitter for more updates and the latest test tasks. If you want to support my work, you can buy me a cup of coffee here.