Talking about video games in IELTS Speaking can be a challenge, not only for the vocabulary, but also knowing what to talk about. The IELTS Speaking Module is designed to assess your English Language Speaking Skills. To ensure a good score in the IELTS Speaking Module, you must study and practice the common Speaking Question types.
Get ideas on the sample answers below and practice to achieve your target band score. Here are some of the questions asked:
1. What do you think of the benefit of video games ?
Answer – From my point of view, video games have both entertaining and educational benefits. Firstly, video games that focus on puzzles help improve my critical thinking skills, and increase my creativity.
By having to work through a problem, I can learn to make logical connections between certain actions. Furthermore, playing video games is really enjoyable, because they have been made covering a wide variety of subjects and styles. This allows me to choose games that are appropriate for my age and personal preferences.
2. Can video games be educational?
Answer – From an educational perspective, these games encourage imagination and creativity, as well as concentration, logical thinking and problem solving, all of which are useful skills outside the gaming context. Furthermore, it has been shown that computer simulation games can improve users’ motor skills and help to prepare them for real-world tasks, such as flying a plane.
3. What are the drawbacks of video games?
Answer – Gaming can be highly addictive because users are constantly given scores, new targets and frequent rewards to keep them playing. Many children now spend hours each day trying to progress through the levels of a game or to get a higher score than their friends.
This type of addiction can have effects ranging from lack of sleep to problems at school, when homework is sacrificed for a few more hours on the computer or console. The rise in obesity in recent years has also been linked in part to the sedentary lifestyle and lack of exercise that often accompany gaming addiction.
4. What are the benefits of computer games?
Answer – Computer games have many educational benefits, for example, they help children develop problem-solving and analytical skills, such as drawing conclusions, seeking alternatives and making predictions. Computer games increase cognitive skills and encourage practical experience.
They are designed to encourage creativity, initiatives and mental power. Many computer games are used to teach and reinforce academic subjects , e. g. some computer games enhance mathematical skills. Computer games are designed to be entertaining; most computer games offer a multiplayer function; inviting people to share their entertainment.
5. What are the drawbacks of computer games?
Answer – Most computer games encourage violent tendencies such as aggression, antisocial behaviour and recklessness. There are many games which show graphic fight scenes where the most brutal is most applauded. The language tends to be violent.
Moreover, computer games can not only decrease interaction and social skills, but it also causes psychological and mental problems tension.
You may also like:
- Speaking: The Broadcast: TOEIC Practice Test Questions & Answers
- Check For English Vocabulary – 17 PDF Books – Free Download
- [English Grammar] Fill in the blanks with Correct Form of Verbs – Practice Test 200+ Questions
- English Speaking Prompts: Enhance Your Fluency and Confidence
- Easy English Conversation Books by Robert Taylor – PDF Free Download
- Practice Test For IELTS – Part 1 to 10 – Free PDF and Audio CDs Download
- Four Corners – 4 in 1 Series – Full Download
- Vocabulary Building Books By Betty Kirkpatrick – Free PDF Download
- Grammar, Usage And Mechanics Language Skills – 6 in 1 Books – Free Download (PDF)
- Select Readings Books Collection By Linda Lee and Erik Gundersen – Free Download
Follow us on Twitter for more updates and the latest test tasks. If you want to support my work, you can buy me a cup of coffee here.