Talking about history in IELTS Speaking can be a challenge, not only for the vocabulary, but also knowing what to talk about. The IELTS Speaking Module is designed to assess your English Language Speaking Skills. To ensure a good score in the IELTS Speaking Module, you must study and practice the common Speaking Question types.
Get ideas on the sample answers below and practice to achieve your target band score. Here are some of the questions asked:
1. Do you like history?
Answer – Well, although I’m excited to gain more knowledge about history such as the evolution of humanity, or in other words, the process of how we became what we are today and of how we have what we’re having today such as crops, machines, chemicals or understandings about creatures living on Earth, I think I would prefer reading or watching videos or documentaries about those topics myself to being taught at schools.
To be honest, I believe history lessons at school have become less interesting to a lot of students nowadays.
2. What historical event do you find most interesting?
Answer – Out of the many historical lessons I have been taught, the most memorable epoch in the history of America is Independence Day of the United States which is the second day of July, 1776. Perhaps this is because it marked an event of massive historical significance for the country.
3. Do you think history is important?
Answer – From my personal perspectives, history knowledge is basic and essential to human lives. By looking back on the past, history first teaches us to appreciate our ancestors who dedicated their lives to the future, especially when it comes to the soldiers who battled for peace and independence, which costed thousands of people’s blood, sweat and tears.
Furthermore, the enormous number of principles and theories that past people left incompleted is recognized to be highly valuable for present application, as well as further improvement and development.
In short, I believe that history has a significant role to play in our daily lives and it is important for our generation to gain as much knowledge about the past as possible.
4. Do you think you can learn history from films or TV programs?
Answer – Definitely, yes. Visual aids are able to do a great job in providing deep insight into history. As far as I’m concerned, historical documentaries and films are quite popular on both national and international channels, in both first language and widely-spoken language.
Thus, the historical background of one country has become well-known for national population as well as foreigners.
5. Do you think internet is a good way to learn about history?
Answer – From my point of view, Internet should not be taken as a good means to learn history. You may bear in mind that a major of history is recorded by human, so it is almost impossible to examine its accuracy and precision.
With the rights to speak one’s mind provided by the Internet, people may bias towards their preference, giving rise to negative messages that threat social security and peace.
Therefore, we must be highly selective when taking in historical information from online sources. Information from some wellknown academic organizations such as TED or Crashcourse can be refered as reliable.
6. Does your country have long history?
Answer – Well my country has quite long history from thousands of years ago. The more I learn about the ancient time through history classes as well as movies and documentaries, the more grateful I feel for what I have today, especially the peace and independence, for it costed thousands of people blood, sweat and tears.
You may also like:
- Speaking: The Broadcast: TOEIC Practice Test Questions & Answers
- Check For English Vocabulary – 17 PDF Books – Free Download
- [English Grammar] Fill in the blanks with Correct Form of Verbs – Practice Test 200+ Questions
- English Speaking Prompts: Enhance Your Fluency and Confidence
- Easy English Conversation Books by Robert Taylor – PDF Free Download
- Practice Test For IELTS – Part 1 to 10 – Free PDF and Audio CDs Download
- Four Corners – 4 in 1 Series – Full Download
- Vocabulary Building Books By Betty Kirkpatrick – Free PDF Download
- Grammar, Usage And Mechanics Language Skills – 6 in 1 Books – Free Download (PDF)
- Select Readings Books Collection By Linda Lee and Erik Gundersen – Free Download
Follow us on Twitter for more updates and the latest test tasks. If you want to support my work, you can buy me a cup of coffee here.