Talking about city in IELTS Speaking can be a challenge, not only for the vocabulary, but also knowing what to talk about. The IELTS Speaking Module is designed to assess your English Language Speaking Skills. To ensure a good score in the IELTS Speaking Module, you must study and practice the common Speaking Question types.
Get ideas on the sample answers below and practice to achieve your target band score. Here are some of the questions asked:
1. Do you like the city you are living in now?
Answer – Yes, I really enjoy Ho Chi Minh city. Although it’s quite hectic, I love the liveliness of it. Apart from this, I think it’s exciting since it is developing at a rapid pace (quickly) and I love the international environment. This city never sleeps!
2. Which city have you been to recently?
Answer – I recently visited Bangkok for a short holiday. I had about 3 days free, so I went there to visit the floating market, palaces, Buddhist temples, and vibrant city center.
3. Do you prefer the city or the countryside?
Answer – I would say I’m definitely a city person. I enjoy the hustle and bustle (craziness) of city life, along with the endless opportunities to meet new people from all over. I feel too limited in the countryside, not to mention I’m terrified of critters (small animals, like spiders, etc!
4. What kinds of city do you like?
Answer – A mix of modern and old. I like when there is an old historic quarter, but also a district with skyscrapers and a more futuristic look. Moreover, I require a city with friendly people and smiles- I couldn’t live in fast-paced, robotic (people moving so fast that they don’t have any expression) place like New York City for example.
5. Which city do you want to go to?
Answer – I’ve always dreamt of going to San Francisco. I’ve always seen the Golden Gate Bridge, charming doll-house like homes, and cable cars on TV and imagined myself there. Moreover, San Francisco seems to be a very liberal city which I would be into.
6. Have you ever lived in the countryside?
Answer – Yes, I was born there! I grew up in the countryside. Actually, my backyard was a cornfield and some people even used to drive to my high school in tractors! Running around barefoot (without shoes) in the mud and frolicking around (running) open fields has always been a part of my life.
7. What do you like to do in the countryside?
Answer – Firstly, I like the outdoor activities, such as playing outside, gardening, going for walks and hikes, and going swimming. Secondly, I love the time I have to self reflected and find deep relaxation. Sometimes I even like to do meditation or yoga in a field.
8. What do people living in the countryside like to do?
Answer – I imagine they like the outdoor activities, such as farming, gardening, going for walks, swimming, hiking, etc. I guess that they also like to have gatherings, maybe even barbecues and bonfires (a large outdoor fire), too. Lastly, I would think they like to go on trips to cities on the weekends as a change of scenery.
You may also like:
- [Learn English] 250+ One Word Substitutions
- Basic IELTS Speaking Questions and Answers
- 48 City Related Words And Their Meanings
- English Collocation Exercise with Answers
- Common English Grammar Mistakes You Need To Know
- General IELTS Writing Tips: How Can Your Improve Your Score
- What is Register in English Grammar?
- When to Use Parallelism in English – A Brief Guide
- 7 Categories of Idioms with Meaning and Examples
- Basic Forms of English Verb Tenses – Tabular View with Examples
Follow us on Twitter for more updates and the latest test tasks. If you want to support my work, you can buy me a cup of coffee here.