American spelling is a variant of English spelling that is used primarily in the United States. It differs from other forms of English spelling, particularly British English, in a number of ways. For example, American spelling often drops the letter “u” from words like “colour” and “honour” that are spelled with a “u” in British English. It also tends to use “z” instead of “s” in words like “realize” and “organize”.
Some words end in our in Britain but in or in America: color, labor, neighbor. Some words end in tre in Britain but in ter in America: center, liter.
Some verbs can end either with ize or with ise in Britain but only with ize in America: apologize, organize, realize. In Britain there is doubling of l in an unstressed syllable. In some American words there is no doubling: marvelous, signaled, councilor.
Despite these differences, American spelling is still widely recognized and used around the world, particularly in academic and business contexts.
Here are some words with different spellings.
|19||kerb (edge of pavement)||curb|
|23||metre (= 100 cm)||meter|
|27||practise (verb), practice (noun)||practice (verb and noun)|
|33||through||through, thru (informal)|
|36||tyre (on a wheel)||tire|
You may also read:
- Important Words Related To Tools and Post Office
- 50+ Words Related To Building and Camping
- In the Sea: Ocean-Related 100+ Words
- 50+ House-Related Words You Should Know
- List Of Important Farm and Flower Related Words
- 50+ Containers and Devices Related Words You Should Remember
- 80+ Clothing and Grooming-Related Words
- Important Words Related To Birthday and Body
- List of Firehouse, Bathroom and Beach Related Words
- Important Sports And Story Words You Should Know
- 30+ Measurement and Money Related Words
- Access Your Vocabulary Skills – 80 Practice Questions With Answers
- Top 20 Common Prefixes That You Should Know
- Choose Best Vocabulary Word – Exercise Questions With Answers
- 18 Words Starting with O and ending with O
- Mastering IELTS Writing and Speaking: A Comprehensive Guide
- [IELTS] Advanced English Vocabulary Words – 1 To 100
- 9 Words to Elevate Your IELTS Band to 9
- Six Common Mistakes in IELTS Preparation
- Useful Expressions for Writing Essays in IELTS