Plants are organisms that belong to the kingdom Plantae. They produce their own food through photosynthesis using chlorophyll and sunlight. Most plants have roots, stems, leaves, and reproductive structures such as flowers or cones.
Flowers are important for plant reproduction and attract pollinators such as bees and butterflies. Trees and shrubs are types of woody plants. Ferns, mosses, and liverworts are examples of non-vascular plants that do not have a system for transporting water and nutrients.
Cacti, succulents, and other desert plants have adaptations that allow them to conserve water. Plants play a vital role in the ecosystem, providing food and oxygen for other organisms, and acting as habitats for wildlife. Some plants have medicinal properties and have been used for centuries to treat various ailments. Plant growth can be affected by various factors, including light, temperature, water, soil nutrients, and disease.
Below is the list of some known facts of plants:
- Dendrochronology is the science that measures the age of plants
- 85% of plants are located in the ocean
- Bananas have a chemical that satisfies human
- The earth has more than 80,000 species of edible plants
- 90% of the foods humans eat come from just 30 plants
- 70,000 plants species are utilized for medicine
- Eating lots of onions will make you sleepy, as it acts as a sedative
- A cluster of bananas is called a hand and consists of 10 to 20 bananas known as fingers
- 68% of plants are in danger of going extinct
- Oak trees are struck by lightning more than any other trees.
- The first certified botanical garden was founded by Pope Nicholas III in the Vatican city in 1278 A.D
- Carrots were originally purple in color
- Caffeine serves the function of a pesticide in coffee plants
- At over 2,000 km. long, the Great Barrier Reef is the largest living structure on earth
- Around 2,000 different types of plants are used by humans to make foods
- Bamboo is the fastest growing woody plants in the world; it can grow 35 inches in a single day.
- Brazil is named after a tree
- Cricket bats are made of a tree called willow and baseball bats are made out of the wood of hickory tree
- Apple is 25% air that is why it floats on water
- Apple, potatoes, and onions have the same taste, to taste this eat them with your nose closed.
- The tears during cutting an onion are caused by sulphuric acid on them.
- The first potatoes were cultivated in Peru about 7,000 years ago.
- If you were to remove all of the empty space from the atoms that make up every human on earth, the entire world population could fit into an apple!!
- On august 10, 2015 NASA astronauts ate food that had been grown in space for the first time
- People who eat spicy foods tend to live longer, according to a 2015 study
- Eskimos use refrigerator to stop their food from freezing
- Cheese is the most stolen food in the world
- Many plants are carnivores like the Venus flytrap and eat tiny little insects and spiders to gain useful nutrients.
- Oak trees don’t produce acorns until they become 50 years old
- Rafflesia grows over three feet in diameter and is the largest flower in the world.
- In 2009 a discovered plant in the Philippines that is capable of devouring rats.
- Trees are the longest living organism on earth
- The poison garden at England’s Alnwick garden is filled with plants that can kill you
- Plants dislike human noise.
- The heaviest tree in the world is also the heaviest single organism.
You may also read:
- Top 9 Critical Indicators of Global Environmental Stress
- Human Amazing Facts: Unveiling the Astonishing Aspects of Humanity
- Top 50 Biology One-liners Questions and Answers
- Exploring the Fundamentals of Human Geography: A Review of the NCERT Book
- Top 50 Geography One Liner Questions and Answers
- Important Science Quiz Questions With Answers
- Top 50 One Liner Science Questions
- Top 50 Interesting Science Facts
- Global Warming & Its Effects – A Brief Guide
- [Science] 500+ Marine Biology Review Questions